Friday, March 11, 2011

HKG013: Lather, Rinse, Repeat

i honestly have no right to gripe considering that my family is safe and unaffected by earthquakes and tsunamis, but today just sucked. SUCKED. and, it was all my fault.

we started out nice and slow...putzed around the closet a little longer than usual. the kids SHARED my computer to play games on pbskids.org. without fighting. wow. that was something. and then we headed out to catch a bus to the zoo. i knew there was going to be a transfer, and i thought i memorized the correct bus number. i did not. we got lost. for hours. and hours. we ended up somewhere called butterfly bay...it was very quiet and very beautiful, but it was also difficult. we were the only westerners around. i had lots of trouble getting around b/c of my lack of cantonese and a lack of english in the area. we eventually got out, finally made it to the zoo, had a great time, and then headed home. (this was seriously 8 hours in the making.)

i left my phone (with all the pics on it) in the taxi. i KNEW it was going to happen....see, i handed my pay-as-you-go hong kong phone to livie so she could play this game called snakezenia. then quinn lost his &^%* b/c sissy had the game and he didn't. so, i handed him my sprint phone with the pics loaded. the little stinker learned how to navigate the gallery in less than 2 seconds. and then our taxi arrived at our destination and i lost track of the sprint phone as i worked on getting all of us out of the taxi safely and got our gear out of the taxi. this was at around 7:30 in the evening...very busy time of the day on the roads....couldn't really lollygag around making sure i had all my crap. i KNEW this was going to happen when i handed a phone to each kid. stupid me!

tomorrow will be better. it has to be!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you had a bad day! Do they sell pineapple juice and coconut rum there to help make it better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha!!! i didn't think to look for that tonight. i have been going to the same convenience store every night for a dark chocolate snickers. the same lady is always working in the evening. we're becoming pals. she starts ringing up my purchase before i have it all on the counter b/c she's so used to me. you know, i've seen mini bottles of hard liqour in some stores, and BIG bottles in the grocery store. i think i will be mixin' up some drinks this weekend >:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that bites! So sorry it was so stressful AND that you lost your phone. :( I admire you for getting out and about as much as you do, in a strange country and with 2 kids in tow. You're doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, glad you're okay following the earthquake/tsunami!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks, nancy. i do love a good adventure, and typically, getting lost is FUN for me...just a little tougher here where i know no one and am not at all familiar with anything.

    LANA! how are you? hey, my dad still has your fishy snack container. i am sorry i did not coordinate a time for me to get that back to you before we left...was crazy. yes, i am feeling incredibly fortunate in light of the happenings so close to us. we have not felt any tremors and the sea is very calm here. my mom told me this morning that the u.s. is preparing aid for japan...i am very glad for that.

    ReplyDelete